Wednesday, November 29, 2006

#52: Harry Potter, Beast of Burden & Gift Ideas.

Apologies for our sporadic blog posting the past few days; we were hit by an unexpected internet outage here at the base camp. The downtime led Nina to ressurect a hobby of hers that hadn't surfaced in a while: Harry Potter. She is now in the midst of an intense (some might say obsessive) HP binge, something I find baffling and mysterious. It is possible that I won't see her for a few days only to have her reappear, slightly haggard and pallid, with a devoured stack of Ms. Rowling's tomes in tow.

When the Potter bug strikes Nina, it always entertains me to no end. First and foremost is the fact that you couldn't pay me to read the books (believe me, I've tried stealing glances over her shoulder). It isn't a bash against the book, though; ever since I can remember, I have been entirely turned off by anything having to do with sorcery, wizards, and witches (or, for that matter, knights, princesses, and mysterious forests where Strange Things happen). Maybe I'm just missing that gene. However, this is the stuff of nerdy dreams for Nina, who loves indulging herself in fantasy worlds where bizarre creatures scamper about and objects take on magical qualities. Indeed, you can see it reflected in much of her art. This contrast has been one of those "opposites attract" elements of our relationship, perhaps analogous to my love of post-bop jazz or watching baseball on television.

Another noteworthy aspect of her Potter fixation is the degree to which Nina becomes visibly excited (not like that) while reading the books. She gets this adorably goofy grin glued to her face and lets out the occasional involuntary giggle. Or, like last night, she'll pause her reading long enough to look at me and say something like "I wish I lived in a magical wizard world!!!" before promptly returning to her spot on the page. And yes, the statement comes with three exclamation points. I wonder how many of our blog readers are pro/anti HP?

Lastly, in a few days we'll be launching a special D&N gift guide... you know, because you needed another. If you have any suggestions you'd like to submit, just send us an e-mail: gifts[at]dannyandnina.com. We look forward to reading your ideas!

xoxox
Danny

Labels: ,

13 Feedback:

At 11/29/2006 10:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

i love and am equally obessessed with harry potter. i have read all the books numerous times and even visit mugglenet.com on a daily basis. i even listen to their podcasts.

 
At 11/29/2006 10:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

i'm thinking about transfering to hogwarts.

 
At 11/29/2006 11:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

I, too, am totally uninterested in anything having to do with magical-fantastical wizardry, etc. I fell asleep during the first Harry Potter movie (ditto during the Lord of the Rings), and became very cranky when my spouse wanted to watch the second Harry Potter film on cable one evening. I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eyes.

 
At 11/29/2006 12:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Harry Potter is absolutely fantastic.
"I wish I lived in a magical wizard world!!!" too :D

 
At 11/29/2006 12:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Harry Potter is my LIFE.

 
At 11/29/2006 04:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

no no. harry potter is life

 
At 11/29/2006 05:34:00 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote...

I was reading an article about J.K. Rowling working on the final book. I mentioned something to my boyfriend about how she couldn't be finished with the series, she's too in love with the characters and I'm betting she'll end up continuing it etc. etc. etc...
He said I sounded like "that woman from Misery".

 
At 11/29/2006 08:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

i have to say that i've been cursed with "Potter Bug" ever since i was 9. at some point i actually dreaded turning 11 in fear that i wasnt going to get something similar to a Hogwarts letter haha.

 
At 11/30/2006 03:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

you know what my secret wish is? that there is a hogwarts type school, except that you start attending after you graduate high school. meaning that i still have a chance of getting it.

 
At 11/30/2006 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Velouria wrote...

i'm just as giggly and goofy about harry potter...i loooove it!
and i'm already waaay excited about the reease of the next film: order of the phoenix in july!!!
w00t!
<3

 
At 11/30/2006 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Stacy wrote...

Same here. I visit mugglenet.com often and have read the books more times than I will admit out loud. I'm completely hooked on HP. I'm 28 years old and I am not ashamed of this! :D

 
At 11/30/2006 09:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

HP OMG OMG!
Kidding.
Kidding.
But actually, really, I'm exactly like your girlfriend. I had to post because of the last paragraph, where she giggles and blurts out that she wished she lived in a magical wizard world. I have done the exact same thing, just ask my boyfriend. Harry Potter is my hero! It's a mystery to me, too...I know I'm a big dork. I like your blog.

 
At 12/01/2006 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

haven't read 'em
haven't seen 'em
who ever will pay you to read them with have to pay me double.

but i still love you nina!

-maggie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home