Wednesday, November 22, 2006

rock lobster#50: Lobster attack!, New Bloc Party & Vote for Amp Camp.

Nina and I were at the grocery yesterday, and as everyone knows, half the fun of going grocery shopping is taking samples from the products being 'demonstrated' around the store. I had an unusual run-in with the demo employee as a I reached for a sample of some lobster spread that went as follows:

Employee: (gesturing to previous sample-taker) Are you together?
Me: No.
Employee: (keeping me from lobster spread) Well you need permission.
Me: (confused) Permission?
Employee: Yes.
Me: Permission from whom?
Employee: An adult.
Me: I'm twenty-three years old.
Employee: Oh... Well you're lucky to look so young!

I wasn't angry or anything, just sort of thrown off by the unexpected nature of the exchange. After all, it's been a while since I've been carded for alcohol at a bar and I certainly didn't expect something similar at the grocery store... over some lobster spread. Once I was able to realize what had happened, I figured it must have something to do with keeping kids with seafood allergies away from that product. Still, how young could she have thought I was? What is the cut-off age? 16? 18? 21?

Bloc Party has a new record coming out in February and since Nina and I are unapologetic fans of Silent Alarm, we thought we'd share an MP3 of one of the tracks. You can download "Prayer" and let us know what you think. Personally, I thought it was a little underwhelming (especially since this is what they are intentionally putting out on the net via their MySpace page), but it did prove to be catchier upon repeated listens.

Finally, the website I ran and helped launch, Amp Camp, is up for a PLUG Independent Music Award for "Online Record Store of the Year." Show some love with your vote and tell your pals to vote, too! You also get to vote for other fun things like "Live Act of the Year" (Art Brut!).

xoxox
Danny

Labels: ,

2 Feedback:

At 11/22/2006 11:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

That is amazing. About the lobster spread, I mean.
My friend once went to the Doctor and was asked where his mommy was by the receptionist. He explained he had driven there from his apartment in his car and that he had no idea where his mommy was at that moment, but that he'd call her cell if they really needed to know.
They were embarassed.
I don't know why I think it's so funny when people think adults are children, I just do.

 
At 11/26/2006 12:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

When my daughter (age 33 at the time) went shopping for a new refrigerator, no one would wait on her. She finally had to seek out a salesperson to help her. He explained that they thought she was there waiting for her mother ....

I guess it runs in the family, though. I was 33 the last time I had to show my ID to order a drink!

Although it can be annoying at times, appearing youthful is a blessing that should just be enjoyed for as long as possible. When you are 40+, you will really appreciate it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home