Tuesday, October 3, 2006

mmmm... free popcorn#17: Radio Update, Free Deliciousness, Squaring Up for the Real Vote, Sorkin, Of Montreal Australia.

As was alluded to yesterday, Nina and I make our radio debut today around 8:10 EST. We're going to post an MP3 of the interview tomorrow, but if you want to listen live, by all means please do. We don't know what they're going to ask and it's our first live interview, so we're a little nervous. Hopefully they won't bring up the licorice incident.

Last year around this time, I found out about a company that celebrates "Free Popcorn Month." I'm not shilling for them or anything, but this stuff is pretty awesome. Basically, you pay three bucks worth of shipping and they send you one of their scrumptious flavors; I got two last year and am partial to the Peanut Butter & White Chocolate DrizzleCorn. You won't regret it.

Since we're getting pretty close to another big vote--you know, the one for control of our government--I want to take a moment to make sure all of our voting-age readers are registered to vote come November regardless of political affiliation. Rock the Vote makes it very easy, you just select your state on and they direct you to the appropriate site.

Last night I watched Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip for the third straight week--the Sorkin is back. I'm loving it, even if the moments of self-serving grandeur don't play quite as well with sketch comedy actors as they do with White House Spokespersons. Still, he sucks you in like few writers can. Plus the man who shares a nickname with our cat, W.G. "Snuffy" Walden" provides the musical score, as with The West Wing.

As I watched Studio 60, I was flipping back to Monday Night Football between the commercials when I saw this ad:



Whoa, I thought to myself, was that Of Montreal covering their own song for an Outback Steakhouse commercial. How very odd. Apparently, I wasn't the first to notice. Here is the excellent video for the song's original incarnation, "Wraith Pinned to the Mist," which is off The Sunlandic Twins:



xoxox
Danny

Labels:

4 Feedback:

At 10/03/2006 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Danny&Nina wrote...

UPDATE: If you've got an hour to kill, you can watch last night's episode of Studio 60 in its entirety here.

--Danny

 
At 10/03/2006 01:49:00 PM, Blogger Em wrote...

I too love Aaron Sorkin, but I have one complaint about Studio 60 and her name is Harrie. I know he can write believable and funny women characters and sadly she is neither. I didn't watch last night yet -- it is still on the TiVo.

Thanks for the free pop corn tip,
Em

 
At 10/03/2006 04:23:00 PM, Blogger Danny&Nina wrote...

Very true, Em--Harriet's character is definitely the most flat of the ensemble. Beyond that, her 'strong religious beliefs' even seem unnecessary; the points she makes on the topic of religion could be made just as articulately by any of the other characters. It almost feels like she's there to prove that not everyone in show business is an atheistic, liberal, immature, morally-untethered homosexual druggy.

She's no Donna Moss, but then again, who is?

--Danny

 
At 10/03/2006 09:35:00 PM, Blogger Iowa Greyhound wrote...

I will be ordering the popcorn.

Gracias,
Iowa Greyhound

 

Post a Comment

<< Home