Sunday, September 24, 2006

exploding paint!
#10: Maltese Puppies, Camera Talk, & The Most Beautiful Ad in the World.

Wow! Jacksonville, FL was way in the lead with over 1,600 votes, and then - wham! - Birmingham struck back and vaulted over the 2,000 mark. Crazy stuff.

My parents of that age now where they are starting to talk about either adopting a child or getting a puppy. Both sound very exciting, but if you are debating getting a kid versus a puppy chances are you aren't ready for a child. They settled on a Maltese, for reasons of size, cuteness, and allergy-resistance. These little guys are simply great and I was sold on getting one before the "which kind" talk even took place. I hope I get to play with him a bit before I head back to Miami. Speaking of adopting though, Danny's sister is actually in the process of adopting a baby from China.

A little on the techy side, my beautiful Canon Powershot S45 camera broke not long ago and I'm badly in need of a replacement. I'm looking at the Kodak Easyshot V570 and the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-N1 . Has anyone out there had good/bad experiences with those or have suggestions for a camera in the not-too-pricey but still nice range that does at least 28mm and can be programmed to shoot long exposures? For some crazy reason, Canon stopped making the S series. Should I just go for last year's S80? This camera buying business is so confusing.

The folks at Sony Bravia are making a new commercial to follow up their absolutely brilliant Bravia Balls, which introduced many folks across the world to the genius of Jose Gonzalez (covering equally brillant fellow Swedes The Knife). In that commercial, 250,000 multi-coloured superballs were bounced down the streets of San Francisco to create some surprisingly breathtaking images. I've had the screensaver for this ad for a year now and still can't get enough. Watch for the frog!

The new ad uses 70,000 liters of paint and a bunch of various other stuff. So far, Bravia has only posted still shots, but some onlookers have made their video available:

Since the final product will probably look much better with its slow-motion takes and moody indie music, here is the original bouncing ball ad:


Heart,
Nina

3 Feedback:

At 9/25/2006 11:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Sony is about to launch the DSC-N2 - same basic camera but with 1600 ISO, and 10MP. As I understand it they are adding Manual White Balance as well.

www.sonystyle.com/N2 is the page for it (Ships toward the end of next week).

 
At 9/25/2006 11:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

I meant to also add that my partner has the N1 and loves it, I am getting the N2 (makes it easier keeping the same bettery and memory stick format between us) because I wanted 10MP and manual White Balance. I am still holding out for a DSLR, My 35mm SLF has been relegated mainly to IR photography, and those shots that only an SLR can do (until I get my DSLR that is).

 
At 9/26/2006 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Danny&Nina wrote...

Thanks Rich, the N2 does look tempting. I'll have to check it out. It's between that and the Kodak v610. That extra wide angle lens in the Kodak is just so rad.
-Nina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home