Saturday, October 14, 2006

La Casa Azul#25: 45,000 Votes and the Radness of La Casa Azul.

To say that yesterday was a huge voting day seems like an understatement--it was our biggest day ever by far, with over 10,000 ballots cast. The the big winner was Fort Collins, CO, who wound up with (drumroll please) over 15,000 votes. Wow! Did something happen there we missed? That was a new milestone for us, vote 40,000.

The even crazier news is what's happening today--before noon, we'd already received over 6,000 votes, most of which were for Jacksonville, FL, catapulting it back into a competitive second place spot.

A little while ago I mentioned my love for Milky Way chocolates, but there is another Milkyway my heart goes out to. His name is Guille Milkyway and he is essentially the Spanish indie-pop group La Casa Azul. The band's music is amazing, some of the happiest, most rump shaking songs you'll ever hear with shades of everything from bossa nova to soft rock to disco--Beach Boys via ELO and Camera Obscura, but that description doesn't do it justice.

Just as interesting is the fact that the co-ed "band" featured in their press photos, television appearances, and music videos is just a fictitious construction designed to reinforce the idea of the band's happy-go-lucky music.
The band in the video is actually fake (project mastermind Milkyway writes, performs, and records all the songs by himself) but they are completely cute anyway. I am drooling over that pink dress in the photo.

Although
I don't speak Spanish like Danny, I find myself singing along to his songs anyway. I'm sure it mostly sounds like gibberish when I do it, but the songs are so catchy and fun I can't help myself. The tracks exude happiness and cuteness. It's impossible to still be in a bad mood after watching their videos, in which Milkyway makes brief appearances.

Our favorite song of his is "Superguay" (which translates roughly as "supercool"). Despite the bright and cheery colors of the video, the song is actually about an ex-girlfriend who leaves the narrator for a hotshot scenester guy, only to be rendered "insubstantial" by his relative supercoolness. She seems so inconsequential by his side that the former "queen of disco-parties" now "cannot be seen without a microscope."

La casa Azul is seriously the number one reason I want to learn Spanish. Warning: extreme cuteness below!





Do you ever pick up the phone to call somebody and it rings in your hand just as you're about to dial and it just so happens it's the person you were trying to call? This happens to me sometimes and I get super excited about the stars aligning. Something similar just happened. As I was writing this entry about my love of La Casa Azul, Danny emailed me with the following video link. And in case you're thinking, well you both probably saw that video not too long ago and hence it's not too surprising you'd be talking about it now, the answer is no. I haven't watched it for quite a long time. It was just a crazy coincidence and I'm loving it.





I'm curious to know what other people think of La Casa Azul. Do you love it? Is it too cheesy for you? Does it feel like a glorified Gap ad or do you wish you could be shimmying in balloons?

Heart,
Nina

Labels: ,

9 Feedback:

At 10/14/2006 01:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

if you like la casa azul, check out Astrud, chico y chica and hidrogenesse

 
At 10/14/2006 07:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

You're probably the pathetic one that voted it to first place, Kyle Russell. "Money Megazine" is almost as lame for saying that's the #1 place to live.

 
At 10/14/2006 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Danny&Nina wrote...

Money Magazine was one of the resources we looked at when deciding which towns were to be included in the initial line up. We looked to a few sources to make sure we get a good variety of towns.

 
At 10/15/2006 07:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Hi there! Just too let you know, theres a high school art class that loves ninas works, so they all spent an hour on computers voting for Fort Collins. They really think you should move here, thats probably why Fort Collins is winning. I think thats amazing. Well, have a good one!

 
At 10/15/2006 08:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

HI!, this is cool! I heard it on the radio!

 
At 10/15/2006 08:45:00 PM, Blogger Danny&Nina wrote...

Wow! That's so great! Thank you all for voting and also for letting us know. I was wondering if there was a bit of press we missed or something that would explain where all the Ft. Collins votes were coming from. Also nice to hear that people are still listening to the radio these days. Looks like video didn't quite kill the radio star.

 
At 10/16/2006 12:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

What an auspicious day for me to discover this blog. I love La Casa Azul!!
hah but I had no idea the band was fake

 
At 10/16/2006 02:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Hey Danny & Nina!
There has been a huge get together at one of my buddies home here in Ft. Collins, CO. There is so many people voting there! They have been doing it a lot in the past week and are planning on doing it till the 1,000,000!

 
At 6/07/2007 04:12:00 PM, Blogger MicrochipNipon wrote...

I love la Casa Azul and Guille Milkyway's music as well...

Have you heard "In Love"?
This is a Guille Milkyway's EP in English...


me encanta la Casa Azul y no soy de Espana, soy de Centroamerica, saludos ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home